My beloved dog ran away last night. We searched all morning until a woman showed up at our door with Buddy. He had been running through a particularly busy street while she was on her paper route.
"You have a vunderful dog." she says in a Slovakian accent. (Well, something Slavic anyway).
"He eez open to very interesting conversation. If, and dis vill probably never happen, you want to give him up, call me."
However quite flummoxed by this statement, I say thank you and thankfully bring Buddy back inside.
The mysterious and beguiling woman floated back down my street... I feel strangely moved by the statement. Was this a joke? I had that tranquil and intimate state of consciousness like when you are walking through the woods and you see a bear; you both lock eyes for a second and the animal moves on as if wanting not to be seen.
It was just that second of visual connection that gave me the feeling that she had peered into my thoughts and soul.
No comments:
Post a Comment